Boy dies from brain-eating amoeba he contracted in Texas park


A boy in Arligton, Texas, died on September 11 from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis caused by bacteria he contracted on a surface where children glided on water.

Photo: Sean Gallup / Getty Images

A Texas boy died on September 11 from a brain-eating amoeba that he contracted on a surface where children slide into the water at Don Misenheimer Public Park, located in Arlington. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) there are no more cases registered.

On September 5, the boy was admitted to the Cook Children’s Medical Center for primary amebic meningoencephalitis, infection caused by amoeba Naegleria fowleri, according to a release from local health authorities.

The name and age of the minor did not transcend to protect your identity and the privacy of family members.

Upon learning that the boy was hospitalized, health authorities took water samples from the boy’s home in Tarrant and the section of the park where he played with water in Arlington, which were the last two places the boy visited. before being admitted to the health center.

These samples were sent to the CDC, who determined that the amoeba Naegleria fowleri it was actually present in the water of the “splash pad”.

Arlington authorities closed the section of the park where the boy was exposed to the bacteria for the rest of the year. What’s more, reported that they also ordered the closure of all “splash pads” in the city “as a precaution”.

In another statement, the city admitted that park staff did not frequently perform relevant tests to determine water quality.

Records did not always show the amount of sanitizing chemical that was added manually to the water system of the splash pad, ”the statement continues.

Lemuel Randolph, deputy city manager for the city of Arlington, told Fox 4 that the fact that the city “may have played an important role in this case it’s really disturbing“.

The CDC also conducted water quality studies at Arligton, but found that it meets sanitation standards and that the water is completely safe for its consumers.

The health entity also assured that there are no more cases of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis registered so far. The CDC website indicates that amoeba infections Naegleria fowleri they are quite rare with only 34 cases registered between 2010 and 2019. In addition, he reports that this bacterium is commonly found in rivers and lakes.

Read also:

.

If you like the information we shared in this article, please like, follow, share and subscribe us on FacebookTwitterTumblr and Instagram so that we can share more such useful articles with you in future.

Team Mptaas

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top