The remedy against diabetes is in our hands, find in the food your most faithful ally
In the last decades the cases of type 2 diabetes They have increased alarmingly. According to data revealed by World Health Organization Worldwide diabetes has quadrupled since 1990, it is estimated that 442 million adults have diabetes, that is 1 in 11 people.
The truth is diabetes is a condition that is largely related to various factors related to people’s lifestyle. There are also groups that are more likely to present pre-diabetes and eventually develop diabetes. Among the main ones are: being over 45 years old, the Hispanic / Latino population, have immediate relatives with diabetes, being overweight or obese, have high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, sedentary life, gestational diabetes and hormonal disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome.
The good news is that diabetes prevention It is not an impossible task, in fact it is in our hands and is based on recognizing the importance of a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle, which is distinguished by daily physical activity and regular stress.
When it comes to prevent pre-diabetes and control an existing condition, the main objective is keep blood sugar levels well controlled. That is why it is of utmost importance to consume foods that can help prevent the complications of diabetes.
How can diabetes be controlled through diet?
According to information released by the Diabetes Foundation the most recommended eating regimen for medicine and nutrition specialists for the prevention of type 2 diabetes has been the classic hypocaloric diet. This type of diet is based on reduce total calories from food based restrict the amount of fat and protein foods, it is also essential to maintain a correct proportion in the carbohydrate consumption.
In recent years they have been released various research papers that provide important information that points the benefits of other types of dietary guidelines above the traditional hypocaloric diet.
Based on this it has been found that Mediterranean diet It is the type of diet that is most related to benefits to prevent and eliminate diabetes. In fact it is estimated that it reduces the number of new cases of diabetes by 50% more than the popular hypocaloric regimen.
There are also other references that point out the benefits of follow diets with a lower carbohydrate content than traditional ones. It is based on creating balanced feeding models, in which reduces the amount and frequency of consumption of carbohydrate-rich foods, as is the evident case of foods like sweets and sugars, although foods rich in flour are also included, as is the case of the rice, pasta, cereals, legumes, bread and potatoes.
Some dietary recommendations:
The nutrition specialists coincide in the infallible food recommendations to control the blood glucose levels and put diabetes at bay.
- Increase the consumption of fatty fish: They are considered part of the healthiest foods on the planet. It integrates fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, anchovies and mackerel, they are extraordinary sources of Omega 3 fatty acids. They associate with great heart health benefits and reduce inflammation markers.
- Green leafy vegetables: They cannot be lacking as a complement to a special diet in the prevention and control of diabetes. They are extremely nutritious, low in calories and digestible carbohydrates, which are associated with raising blood sugar levels. They are also a great source of vitamins and minerals, antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Eggs: Eggs have been the victim of many unfair trials, the truth is that they stand out for being very healthy and beneficial foods for health. They are satiating and integrating them into the diet helps reduce the risk of developing heart disease. They decrease inflammation and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Chia seeds: They are one of the most recommended foods for people with diabetes, this is due to their extraordinary fiber content and low intake of digestible carbohydrates. They have the genius of lowering high blood sugar levels by slowing the rate at which food moves through the intestine.
- Nuts: They are one of the food groups that is most associated with health benefits, they are satiating, delicious and nutritious. Is it so full of energy and fiber, and they are low in digestible carbohydrates. They reduce inflammation and naturally regulate high blood sugar levels.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Liquid gold for health and one of the key ingredients in the Mediterranean diet. Contains oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fat that has been shown to improves triglycerides and HDL, which are often at unhealthy levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
In addition to these tips, it is important to choose increase the consumption of vegetables and fruits, drink enough water, avoid alcohol, saturated fats, refined flours, sugars and all kinds of processed foods. It is important to integrate foods of great therapeutic power as is the case of medicinal herbs and spicesThe most recommended are cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, mint, garlic and rosemary.
If you like the information we shared in this article, please like, follow, share and subscribe us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram so that we can share more such useful articles with you in future.